SATELLITE COMMUNICATIONS PRESENTATION
Presenter: Mr. Andrew Cordery BSc. (Hons) Sys. Dip Eng. Cert. Ed.
25 Years experience in delivering technical; Lectures, Seminars and Workshops in Europe and the Middle East for Schools, Colleges and Industry.
Associate Technical Consultant with EuroMaTech Seminars in Europe and Middle East.
Satellites and their Orbits
• Historical introduction to the ‘Satellite’.
• Comparing the Geostationary with the Polar orbit.
• List the essential components that make up an operational satellite.
• Getting a satellite into orbit.
• Understanding the orbit parameters.
• Keeping a satellite in the correct position.
• Generating Electrical Power.
• Producing and shaping a footprint.
• Aligning antennas to Earth.
Satellite Ground Stations
• Examine the distribution of the Radio Frequency Spectrum.
• Compare the characteristics of different frequency bands.
• Relate receiving antennas to frequency bands and bandwidth.
• Understand Modulation Techniques (Amplitude, frequency and Phase).
• Understand how to use EIRP ‘Footprint’ data and determine dish size.
• Understand LNB properties and polarisation techniques.
• Understand the term ‘Signal to Noise Ratio’
• Aligning concentric, offset and rotating dishes.
• Predicting and compensating for signal loss.
Environmental, Military and Commercial Uses
• Examine the characteristics of Electro-Magnetic Waves.
• Understand Remote Sensing techniques.
• Interpret environmental imaging data.
• Appreciate the tasks performed by weather satellites.
• Interpret Meteorological images obtained from remote sensors.
• Understand how Global Satellite Positioning works.
• Appreciate the effects of Real Time signal delay.
• Positional error correction methods.
• Appreciating present limitations of positioning.
Microwave Communications and Communication Satellites
• The waveguide as a transmission median.
• Identification and use of the Waveguide
• Understanding Signal Attenuation.
• Appreciating the need for Microwave Repeaters
• Identifying the critical waveguide dimensions
• Appreciate Health and safety issues related to microwaves.
• Microwave versus optical fibre, land-line and satellite.
• Evolution of Satellite TV.
• Comparing different analogue systems.
• Introduction to High Definition TV.
• Understanding Digital transmission theory.
• Applying MPEG techniques.
• Understanding Analogue and Digital Encryption techniques.
Future developments and Management Issues
• Understanding Differential GPS.
• Future GPS: The Galileo project.
• Advances in propulsion.
• VSAT: Broadband via satellite.
• Commercial Case Study: SpotImage company.
• Earth Station scheduled maintenance and equipment.
• Sun spot and sun alignment problems.
• Signal distribution using Optical Fibre.
• Forum on future developments and applications.